In spite of our best efforts, we with gluten intolerance/Celiac still have problems. Why?
Hidden gluten, wheat. The gluten booger is hidden deep in the caverns of food additives.
- Modified food starch- could be wheat- Look for it to ‘say’ Corn or Rice starch. Look for the ‘Gluten Free’ label, if there is modified food starch listed.
- Soy Sauce- Deceptively made from wheat. Teriyaki Hosin and other premade Asian sauces contain soy sauce.
- Malt- Corn malt ok, but just ‘malt’ is probably wheat or barley
- Ice Cream- especially dutch chocolate
- Sauces- in restaurants and pre-made- unless specified GF
- Processed meats,
- Cereals- malt, and modified food starch
- Chewing gum- modified food starch
- MSG, can be derived from wheat
- Vegetable gum (wheat is considered vegetable to some)
- HVP (Hydrolyzed vegetable protein(gluten))
- Dextrin (maybe made from wheat)
- Maltodextrin (maybe made from wheat)
- Citric Acid(can be fermented from wheat) look for GF on label
- Fried potatoes -coated with wheat for crunch
- Jelly/Licorice candies
- Hydrolyzed Corn, Soy plant or vegetable protein(hydrolyzed means mixed with something, like gluten)
- Malt vinegars
- Pickles -brined in malt vinegar- Look for GF
- Bleu Cheese- some use mold from bread- FDA says it’s below the 20parts per mill.
- Gluten ‘removed’ beer- FDA says it’s A-Ok, but….
- Smoke flavoring (barley and malt are used to capture the smoke flavor)
- Triticum vulgare (wheat)
- Triticale (wheat/barley)
- Hordeum vulgare (barley)
- Secale Cereale (rye)
- Triticum Spelta (spelt)
- Seitan (wheat gluten)
- Wheat germ oil (will be cross contaminated)
Look for the Gluten Free label.
What about those prepackaged foods that list “May be manufactured in a facility that contains wheat? Think about it. First, consider what else is manufactured by this company. Is it a bakery that all other foods are gluten full? If so, find something else. 2nd consider how many products do not state this, that may very well have ‘gluten’ products near. 3rd. Consider how many gluten full products are in the grocery store you are in. Be wise, don’t panic, don’t be OCD about it all. Gluten is in the world, in the majority of the prepackaged foods. But then most of the prepackaged foods, even the gluten free stuff, is not really ‘good’ for us. Eat fresh. Mix ‘from scratch’ . Use unrefined and unbleached. An apple a day, really will keep the doctor away .