Celiac/gluten intolerance may just be the tip of the iceberg. What is lurking underneath, unchecked, undiagnosed, could be why you are still sick and tired even after removing your gluten, could be MTHFR.
MTHFR is a gene that has the recipe for the enzyme called methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. The enzyme, in turn, metabolizes B9/Folate into Methylfolate. Methylfolate is necessary for the for DNA synthesis and repair, neurotransmitter production, detoxification, and immune function.
When the gene is mutated, the ability to metabolize vitamin B9 into methylfolate is reduced by 40-70%. This mutation can change the way people metabolize and convert nutrients into vitamins, minerals and proteins. It can also alter neurotransmitter and hormone levels as well as cholesterol levels, brain function, digestion, endocrine functions and more.
There are two main MTHFR mutations/polymorphisms :MTHFR C677T and MTHFR A1298C.
Mutations can occur on different locations of these genes. The mutations can be inherited from one or both parents. These mutations cause health problems, 1 alelle has less issues than 2 alleles. This means that for those that have the C677T mutation there are two possibilities. They can be:
- Heterozygous – one copy of the C677T mutation and one normal copy 40%loss of function
- Homozygous –two copies of the C677T mutation 70%loss of function
Those with A1298C mutation do not seem to have as much issues, but a combination of the A1 and C6 will carry about a 50% loss of function.
This ‘low rate of methylfolate causes problems:
- Learning Disability
- Down syndrome
- Depression and anxiety
- Spina bifida
- Bipolar disorder
- Autoimmune disorders IE: Rhumitoid Arthritis, Psoriasis, Celiac,
- Thyroid disorders; Graves, Hashimotos
- Chronic pain disorders
- Heart Disease
- Cholesterol imbalance
- Hormonal problems
- Fertility problems
- Miscarriages and PCOS
- Pulmonary embolisms
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Digestive problems;IBS, Crohns, Celiac
- Tongue and lip ties
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Multiple Sclerosis-like symptoms
- Spina Bifida
First DO NOT fix this with Folic Acid- It is really MAN MADE Folate. MTHFR people can not break down Folic Acid.
MTHFR people need the real FoLATE- methylated folate, to be specific.
If you are not already off gluten – GET OFF OF GLUTEN/WHEAT NOW.
- You probably have some form of Celiac/Gluten intolerance, because you have an autoimmune disease caused by the MTHFR
- Wheat flour is fortified with Folic acid- all wheat products have Folic Acid – This will hurt you, in addition to the gluten
Eat Folate rich foods:
- Beans and lentils
- Leafy green vegetables like raw spinach
- Brussel sprouts
- Bok choy
- fruits like cantaloupe, honeydew, banana, raspberries, grapefruit, and strawberries
- juices like orange, canned pineapple, grapefruit, tomato, or other vegetable juice
- peanut butter
- sunflower seeds
Improve your gut health:
Digestive complaints are common with MTHFR A1298C and C677T mutations. Probably because nutrients aren’t being taken in and allergies and inflammation hormones and neurotransmitter levels are off. It is all a chain reaction. Healthy Gut is a healthy body.
- Reduce intake of inflammatory foods, such as gluten, added refined sugar, preservatives, synthetic chemicals, processed meats, conventional dairy, refined vegetable oils, trans fats and processed/enriched grains (which often include synthetic folic acid).
- Increase intake of probiotic foods, which are fermented and supply “good bacteria” that aids in digestion. Keifer and Kombucha are great healing elixirs
- Consume other gut-friendly foods, including bone broth, organic vegetables and fruit, flaxseeds and chia seeds, and fresh vegetable juices.
- Focus on consuming healthy fats only, like coconut oil or milk, olive oil, grass-fed meat, wild-caught fish, nuts, seeds, and avocado.
My D.O. tested my MTFHR and, sure nuff, I have the mutated C677T with a double TT. Also I loaded my DNA results from Ancestry onto Promethese.com and it confirmed my being a mutant. It really explains a lot of the why’s of my medical/body failure in the past. Looking forward to fixing it all.
Psalms 103: 1 Praise the Lord, my soul;all my inmost being, praise his holy name.2 Praise the Lord, my soul,and forget not all his benefits3 who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases4 who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,5 who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.